Franciscan Pottery dates back to 1934 in Los Angeles, California when Gladding, McBean & Co.started making ceramic tableware and tiles. Originally known for their bright casual earthenware, Franciscan quickly expanded their production to include fine china collections. Franciscan fine china collections have been used on Air Force One and the Presidential yacht, though the casual dinnerware of the 1960s and 70s that is most remembered.
In 1962, Franciscan became part of a ceramic giant, Interpace, and further expansion followed including the purchase of both the Myott and Meakin business in the United Kingdom. In 1972 Interpace started production of Franciscan Tableware at their newly acquired Myott works.
In 1979 the Wedgwood Group acquired the Franciscan brand from Interpace and moved the UK production of Franciscan from the Myott works to their Johnson Bros factories. The American production of Franciscan was stopped in 1984. The Franciscan and Johnson Bros brands were continued to be used by Wedgwood until the 2000s.