Thomas Booth founded Booths in the 1850s producing earthenware sanitary and dinnerware at Tunstall. Since then the ownership of the Booths name passed through various companies including the Pearson Group, Ridgway, and becoming part of Royal Doulton in 1971, where the Booths name continued to be used until the mid-1980s.
Booths made their name by producing high-quality earthenware which they called Silicon China, a thin earthenware to compete with fine porcelain. During the early 1900s and under the direction of Charles Bowers, Booths produced many reproductions of classical blue wares using this Silicon China body, these pieces are commonly marked with the letters CB.
It is the traditional oriental patterns that Booths are known for, with the most famous being Real Old Willow. The original Real Old Willow pattern number from 1906 was 9072, though the latter more common A8025 was introduced in the 1940s and used up until the 1980s.