The Vista Alegre porcelain factory was founded in 1824, by José Ferreira Pinto Basto, a leading figure in the Portuguese society of the 19th century. In 1812, he started by buying land, near the town of Ílhavo included Quinta da Vista Alegre, with a palace, a chapel and several buildings built around a large square, where the factory is still today.
Throughout its journey, the Vista Alegre has always been associated with Portuguese history and cultural life, having acquired an unrivaled reputation internationally.
Vista Alegre has always collaborated with internationally-renowned artists and designers as well as young talents. Recently with Sasha Walchoff and Marcel Wanders all the way back to Victor C. Rousseau in the 1840s and with partnerships with the Metropolitan Museum of Art along the way.
Continued investment into the manufacturing in Portugal, so everything from decal production to final firing remains on the one site. Allowing for great quality and speed of innovation.