One of England's iconic china brands, Royal Doulton is famous worldwide for luxury and elegance in tableware, coupled with skill and artistry in collectables and giftware. Throughout its history Royal Doulton has been famed for the plates, bowls, cups and dishes we all aspire to eat off as well as for figurines, character jugs, crystal and cutlery.
We have over 800 discontinued tableware patterns listed many of these would be been produced between the 1960s and 1990s. The current range today is much smaller with a focus on modern living with clean shapes and contemporary design, Pacific was launched in 2015 and is already a classic.
A Brief History of Royal Doulton.
Doulton's started life more humbly, taking advantage of the revolution in sanitation during the Victorian period. John Doulton, with his son Henry established the world's first stoneware factory producing pipes, and it went on the become England's top manufacturer of sanitary ware. Expansion soon followed, with the launch of Lambeth Studio, using local designers and artists, they experimented with a variety of materials and glazes to produce highly desirable ornamental ware.
In 1877 Henry Doulton purchased a Nile Street Factory in Burslem, Stoke on Trent and within five years was producing the finest bone china tableware. In 1901 Doulton's was awarded the Royal Warrant by the new king, Edward VII. In honour the company adopted a new logo, the British Lion and new name Royal Doulton.
Innovation was key to the continued success of Royal Doulton, whether it be flambé ware, lady figurines introduced in 1913 or Bunnykins in 1934, it managed to stay ahead with an inspirational design team, including individuals like John Slater and Charles Nokes. By the 1960's it was a powerhouse, shipping tableware worldwide, in a breadth of materials and styles, commanding awe and respect from its competitors. In the 1970's it was involved in a number of mergers to create the Royal Doulton Group, including Royal Albert, Minton and Royal Crown Derby. In 2005 these historic names became part of the Waterford Wedgwood Group, which is now owned by Fiskars.